Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Snow in April

It hardly ever snows in Washougal, but it snowed off and on all last week! Fortunately it managed to stay about 40 degrees and sunny during Kirk's baseball game, but the rest of the time it was snowy and/or rainy.



I'm not complaining, of course, because my mom will not hesitate to remind me that she still has an unmelted snowbank in her backyard from the many feet of snow that dropped on Klamath Falls since December. It's just that it really isn't supposed to do that here, and so snow causes quite a stir.



Personally, I'm more annoyed by the unrelenting wind that makes traveling across the I-205 bridge a bit of a roller coaster ride. It is unnerving to have to steer into the wind to keep the car from sailing off the opposite side of the bridge. But that is just what Suzanne and I did on Friday as we took a field trip to Lake Oswego to go to a DS Mom's Coffee and meet with a speech therapist. As it turns out, I'm doing several things right, which comes as a pleasant surprise to me. She had a nice handout, which talked about how we learn speech and the different ways to learn new words. Suzanne is picking up words more easily now, so now is the time for Greg and I to really work hard at it.



In fact, Suzanne's beloved Dancing With The Stars is helping with words and counting! Last night they were giving the scores for one of the dance couples and Carrie Ann said "Eight," then Len said "Nine" and then before Bruno could speak, Suzanne shouted "Ten!" Suzanne was more generous in her score than Bruno, because I think he only gave them an eight.



Poor Greg--he used to really like having a little snuggle time with Kirk when he was little. They would get on their jammies and get in bed to watch a little TV and I would find them both asleep. Soooo cute. He likes to do that with Suzanne, but she always outlasts him. When I go upstairs now, Greg is usually snoring away and Suzanne is either sitting up watching TV or roaming around. One time, I found her on the floor at the foot of the bed snuggled up with a pillow and one of her dad's shirts. Still awake, though. What is exceptionally funny is when this happens with the 3 of them. Then I will find Greg and Kirk asleep and Suzanne in the middle, wide awake. I am the only one in this house who can outlast her.


Gotta go and teach Kirk how to clean his bathroom. He wants to do chores to earn Wii games, so we'll see how long his enthusiasm last...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen, Miss Suzanne has a whole lotta will...fortunately, so do you!!!!

Love the snuggle bug stories :)

How is the chores list working?


Karen

Up With Downs!

You haven't experienced life until you've experienced it Suzanne-style...