Monday, September 29, 2008

Mystery Solved

We have been in a bit of a tizzy around here. About a month ago Suzanne misplaced her "Hairspray" DVD, causing a huge amount of turmoil and hubbub in our household. Without her daily dose of "Good Morning Baltimore" she has been a bit crabby of late.

Well, I found it yesterday. I should have figured it out sooner--it was so obvious. I remember when Kirk was 2 and opened the door to the garage, got in the Explorer, and proceeded to shove nickles and dimes into the tape deck (remember when cars came with cassette decks back in the dark ages?). The tape deck has never worked since then and we are just lucky he didn't decide to take a whack at the CD player.

Suzanne did something very similar. I was trying to put a VHS tape into the slot, when it dawned on me that something was blocking the way. When I flipped up the cover, lo and behold I found a DVD. When I pulled it out, it turned out to be Hilary's "Shrek 3." Sorry Hil, I think it's a goner. However, upon looking further into the unit, I could see that there was another DVD lodged at the back. I ignored the label that warned against removing the cover and about 2 minutes later, extracted the missing "Hairspray" DVD. Of course, it is hopelessly scratched from being banged around by the DVD carriage, but at least I know what happened to it. Now if only I can find the upstairs remote...

On the school front, I've now had a couple of conversations with the WSD administration. They concede that they inadvertently reduced her class time by 20%, which gives me just the leverage I need to get Suzanne additional speech therapy. She is getting 30 minutes during class time and I'm going to ask for additional time individually so she can really get some concentrated attention. The kid really needs to be able to communicate better in order to have a successful kindergarten experience. I get the feeling that the school district won't be making this kind of boo boo again. It was just thoughtless and compounded by poor communication, but I am prepared to be magnanimous as long as Suzanne gets better services.

Kirk starts flag football today. Football is not my favorite sport, so I'm hoping that this is going to be enough to turn him off--much like the one season of soccer. I like basketball (a wonderful sport during a rainy winter) and baseball will be much more pleasant now that I've found the chairs with the built in cover. Knowing my luck I'll spend $65 on the darn thing and it won't rain at all next spring...

Better get back on 'mote patrol...

No comments:

Up With Downs!

You haven't experienced life until you've experienced it Suzanne-style...