Thursday, October 18, 2007

For A Quiet Evening, It's Awfully Noisy

We're having a yawnfest around here. It's Thursday night and the kids (and Dad) are tired from a long week. Suzanne is sitting on Greg's lap, blankie on her lap, and she's sucking her thumb. That tells you how tired she is--she NEVER sucks her thumb. Greg is yawning sympathetically. Every once in awhile she looks up at him and gives him a kiss.

Kirk is a bit wound up because he's been grounded today. He tried to dispose of last night's vegetables in the bathroom trash, and since I used to do that stuff myself, I figured it out. He tossed a couple of perfectly nice carrots in the trash. At least I chose a truly horrible vegetable to dispose of--Brussels Sprouts!

We are engaging in one of Greg's favorite pastimes, watching Fox Sports Classic. Who knew that there was a cable channel that showed old college football games. I don't really see the point, since I already know who wins this one (Oregon 31, Huskies 20), but we're watching anyway. In case anyone out there cares, this is the game with the famous Kenny Wheaton interception and touchdown of 1994. The best part is checking out the uniforms to see how much they've changed. Since the interference of Nike, the uniforms have lost their Disneyesque quality. Bring back the gold pants, I say!

My kids are getting such an eclectic education from Greg and I. If my kids aren't math geniuses I'll be surprised because they spend a lot of time learning sports trivia and stats. Greg is very patient as he explains this play or that and what it means in terms of overall strategy. From me they are getting sound fashion advice. "No, football players should not bare their midriffs, no matter how nice a 6-pack they have. It's just tacky!"

In between the yawns, Suzanne is trying out her new skill--counting to 5. You can tell she's tired because she keeps editing it a bit. It's coming out, "One.........Fo Fi!" Usually two is her favorite, but she keeps skipping over it. The funny part is when she watches a tackle on the TV, she yells "Down!" My kids know their sports, for sure.

Kirk, on the other hand, is skipping over nothing. In fact, he won't shut up tonight. Gad! Now he's whistling! Nope, now he's doing that tongue clicking thing that kids do. If he starts cracking his knuckles I'm done for. Well, both cats are purring now, isn't that just swell! Note to self--buy ear plugs...

1 comment:

Mom said...

Dear Grandma Jennie: Boy does that clang a bell. You were named after a special lady and have lived right up to the name. I wish she knew how you have (are still) turning out. Well, I am sure the tadpole contingent will back me up on that one. I feel like a tadpole today. Why must Klamath County get it's entire annual rainfall at one time? And eliminate our indian summer to boot? Well, will go embroider on Hilary's tablecloth and listen to a talking book. Love ya, Mom

Up With Downs!

You haven't experienced life until you've experienced it Suzanne-style...