Friday, May 18, 2007

It's not how you start, it's how you finish!

"Song Titles for $100, Alex!"

For those of you who have never been to a big Mary Kay event, you might not have heard this song. Too bad for you, since it has a nice beat and you can dance to it! And while the message is a bit schmaltzy, it is very true--it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Suzanne is a prime example. She had a rather humble beginning at only 6 lbs. 11 0z. To give you a little perspective, she's wearing a 0 to 3 month dress and she is just swimming in it. In fact, the bloomers wouldn't even stay on her little fanny because she was so scrawny. We probably should have gotten a few preemie outfits just so we didn't lose her in her clothes!

But I'm not really thinking that much about Suzanne today. She's booing and hooing in her bedroom right now because her mean mommy thinks she needs an early nap. Too bad Sister! You're just going to have to trust that I know what's best for you...

No, I'm really thinking about someone else who is equally special to me. Today I'm thinking a lot about my dad. My dad and I have always had a special relationship--I was the one who would go fishing with him, but I wouldn't touch the worms or the fish. I'd go to the dump with him, but he wouldn't let me heave the trash over the side. And I was the only one who had the patience to help him hitch up the trailer that I talked him into buying. I was 8 at the time.

He has a very special anniversary this month, which epitomizes my phrase of the day, "it's not how you start, it's how you finish." You see, my dad made a decision 20 years ago that not only changed his life, it changed all of ours too. Because of his decision to change his life, my kids have the best grandfather that I could ever ask for. My parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary last November, but I think this ranks right up there as equally momentous.

Greg, the kids and I are going on vacation with my parents in June. In fact, we do this every couple of years because we like being together. 20 years ago this never would have happened, but now my son gets to look forward to taking his grandpa on the bumper cars in Seaside. The big joke is that my family likes to travel in packs. We've been on 2 cruises with them (3 for Susan and Jim) and another fun trip to the beach (6 days, 7 adults, 2 kids, 1 dog, 1 house, no fatalities). We enjoy each other's company--imagine that.

So Dad, know that you are loved and appreciated. And please forgive me for putting the idea in Kirk's head about the bumper cars...

No comments:

Up With Downs!

You haven't experienced life until you've experienced it Suzanne-style...