Friday, May 4, 2007

Pet Peeves

It's been a busy week. Suzanne's been on a tear and I've been waiting impatiently for my new computer to arrive. It came yesterday. Today Suzanne was her little poopy, obnoxious self, but it didn't get out of hand mainly because I was where I could keep my beady eyes on her and still get something done. In fact, I am typing this from the kitchen as she is wailing because the pizza isn't getting done fast enough. Nothing is ever fast enough for a 2 year old.

I've had some people ask me lately what I thought of the early intervention system. My first comment would be that it all depends. It depends on who you are talking to at the time. In general, the teachers that we have encountered are wonderful. Where the trouble begins is when you are talking to someone about your IFSP (more on acronyms later) and the person has never actually met your child. Yes, Oregon people, it happens this way in Washington. The nice woman assigned as our Family Services Coordinator had never actually met Suzanne until she was at the PRIDE center for something totally unrelated to Suzanne. I find it hard to believe that someone can coordinate services without even a brief introduction to the child in question. Now, I am an educated, sensible person but even I have had difficulty navigating the early intervention system. I can only imagine how hard it must be for someone else who doesn't have the support that I do.

1, Sometimes you just don't know what to ask for. As if it weren't tough enough being on the emotional rollercoaster that we all find ourselves on, you also need a degree in early childhood education to figure out what to ask for.

2. The Emotional Rollercoaster. Suzanne is almost 3 and still I'm on the emotional rollcoaster with her. On the one hand, Iwant people to know about Suzanne and all the wonderful things she can do. On the other hand, I want her to be treated like any other kid. I want her to be like any other kid. Now, I know that the various therapies are going to help us get to the point where she is just like everyone else, but I've also seen parents who resist therapies out of fear that it marks their child as "different." I guess I have it easier because my kid is different and there is no changing it--just look into her almond shaped eyes and there it is. The Emotional Rollercoaster is deadly--it can make you fear the very thing that will help your child the most.

3 The Acronyms. Please, if you are a teacher or therapist or Family Service Coordinator do not use an acronym for everything. I've just gotten the hang of the original bunch and now at age 3, we have another bunch to learn. Gads!!! I have enough to do without having to learn a new language every couple of years...

All in all, I'd have to say that I'm pleased with Suzanne's walk through the early intervention system. She has benefitted mightily. I, on the other hand, haven't enjoyed it quite so much. If I didn't have Ryan to pick on, I wouldn't be having any fun at all....

No comments:

Up With Downs!

You haven't experienced life until you've experienced it Suzanne-style...