Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Dancing Queen Bee

Suzanne has definite likes and dislikes with regard to televised entertainment. She...

Likes real people
Dislikes cartoons
Likes shows with color and action
Dislikes slowness
Likes Elmo
Dislikes Cookie Monster (how do you not like Cookie Monster?)
Likes any show that requires clapping and cheering

LOVES Dancing With the Stars!

I think this falls under the category of color and action. She also really likes hockey. I don't even want to think about that...

Last night we were watching DWTS and Suzanne was doing her best impression of Arthur Murray. When she sees the dancers she actually tries to imitate them. I'm certain that dance will be a huge part of Suzanne's life if we find the right class and instructor who understands the mechanics of a child with Down Syndrome. Just because she can do the splits both ways doesn't mean that it is necessarily a good thing. The object is to build strength in all of her muscle groups, which Ryan (our beloved physical therapist) has been working on for nearly 2 years now. She can do some amazing things and she's learning more all the time.

In fact, I caught her walking up and down the bleachers during Kirk's baseball game last night. Two weeks ago she was too scared of falling underneath to even try it and now she would scramble right up to the top if I'd let her. She does have a problem with the visual aspect of going down things, but when she gets the hang of it, watch out!

And so I think of things like tutus and tights and all the fun things that girls should get to do when they're little. Even I got to be a ballerina once and it is something I've always remembered fondly. I'm not sure my mother remembers it that fondly--from what I understand those costumes were a real pain to make!

Suzanne is going to have a lot of things happen in her life in the next few months, what with preschool and anything else I can find to shave the tomboy edges off of her. Perhaps I'll get to be a baseball/dance mom--I can but dream!


Jennie

PS - the weather is getting nice so get outside and plant some flowers--it is very therapeutic. Except you folks in Klamath Falls--you should wait a couple more weeks. Do what I'm constantly telling Suzanne...wait, wait!!

No comments:

Up With Downs!

You haven't experienced life until you've experienced it Suzanne-style...